Monday, 29 June 2009

Kwaheri Zanzibar, Jambo Kenya!


Saying Goodbye (Kwaheri in Swahili) isn’t usually fun for me so I try to avoid it as often as I can. Leaving Zanzibar is not exception; instead I’ll say: “see you later” because I think I will be back someday. I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay on this island, even the “worst” parts of it. I think its set a pretty high bar for the rest of my trip and I will miss it!

I will miss the white sandy beaches; the beautifully turquoise ocean; the brilliantly starlit nights (especially those nights when the moon shone bright and cast its light across the ocean); the exquisite sunrises and sunsets; I will miss the bike rides (oh I will miss the bike rides and all the bruises and scrapes that came with it), the befuddled stares of the villagers that soon turned into welcoming smiles, the students at JTTI (especially the ones that kept me well humoured), the kids at the nursery schools (especially the devilish ones that were usually up to no good but still laughed and wriggled around when you tickled them); I will miss being covered in paint and the fun discoveries that came with it (like learning that insect repellent is a great paint remover!); I will miss the food, though I should be able to live on chapatti and spicy rice in Kenya but then again it might not be the same

That said, I’m pretty excited about Kenya. I think one month of village life has had me craving for a bit of a more city-like experience and Nairobi is just perfect for that. I’ve heard a lot about it and just can’t wait to see it for myself. I’m excited about the placement I’ll be doing out there as well. This time round I will be working in an orphanage for 6 weeks. The setup for accommodation will also be different; I’m ditching the big brother-esque experience for a live-in with a local family which I think could be quite fun. I’m hoping that it will prove better at least on the food front. I also happen to have a few friends in Kenya so will be a good opportunity to catch up and get good advice on the dos and don’ts.

So my flight is all confirmed and I head out tomorrow afternoon. Once I’m settled in, I will be in touch to let you guys know how it’s all panning out. I’m crossing all the crossable parts of my body, praying that the internet situation will be as good as I expect so I can finally, finally post some photos.

And on that note, I say Jambo (Hello in Swahili) Kenya, hope you are as ready for me as I am for you!

3 comments:

  1. I only logged on to see if you'd mention Michael Jackson. Luckily you didn't so I feel I can safely come back to look again.....

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Mrs. A i know that's you. I decided to silently mourn his death. Make no mistake though, he will be sorely missed!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorely missed?
    Have you been there?
    So I assume he has a big one then!
    LOL..

    No more insect repellants for me anymore!
    If it can remove paints well,
    imagine what it does to your skin!
    And talking about insects,
    I went back to Indonesia for 2 weeks
    and guess what?
    I left the country with mosquito bites
    all over my legs!
    I was silly enough to only bring skimpy shorts
    for the trip!
    I was food heaven for the blood thirsty mosquitoes!!!
    Grr...

    H

    ReplyDelete